4.06.2012

Make It, Wear It - Summer Holiday Challenge

With summer quickly approaching here, Brandon and I have started planning our next vacation. We're headed to a (presumably hot and humid) beach on the Gulf so, I'll likely spend the week in sundresses and light, breathable blouses with skirts or shorts. Of course, being the sewing addict that I am, I started looking over my sewing queue to decide what vacation-appropriate items I could/should add to it (including that red sateen I mentioned Wednesday).

As I was doing so, I came to a decision. I want at least 70% of the items I wear on vacation to be self-made!  100% would be unreasonable. I do have ready-to-wear items that I enjoy wearing and would suit my vacation needs so, I'm bringing them along.  I also have a strict time frame in which to get the items sewn.  On the other hand, 50% would be too easy, since I generally wear dresses in the summer and have more than enough to account for half a vacation wardrobe. However, I do find myself lacking in separates so, I'm using this as motivation to sew some up.

Now, to hold myself accountable, I've decided to put it in writing. I seem to accomplish more when I'm participating in challenges or contests so, I'm making this a proper challenge for myself.   I even made a button!



This means, in the coming weeks, I'll be focusing my sewing on blouses and summer bottoms.  (I'm excluding swimwear from the challenge, since I've never tried making any.)  Once I have my queue set, I'll set to work and share my progress.  When I return, I'll do a round-up post to prove I succeeded (or didn't) with a 'Made It, Wore It' post, a la Suzie.

By the way, since more is merrier, if you're planning to make self-made items for an upcoming getaway, feel free to grab the button and leave a comment to let me know you're playing along.  Of course, you can change the percentage to whatever suits you and your suitcase!


Make It, Wear It Summer Holiday Challenge

Have you started working on your warm weather queues yet? (Or cooler weather queues, for my southern hemisphere friends?)  I'd love to hear what you're planning!

Happy sewing! x

14 comments:

  1. Lovely idea Jennifer! I want to try and participate. I don't have a lot of vacations planned this summer (as we are going to be busy with trying to sell our house and buy a new one), but I think I can try to make a few things for a weekend at the cabin and to wear throughout the summer. Yes, I will join in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moving houses is fun but, oh so time consuming! I hope it all goes smoothly for you. A weekend at the cabin sounds great and a nice excuse to sew up some cozy summer wear. I'm so pleased you're joining in! I can't wait to see what you make :-)

      Delete
  2. Great idea ... I need some more summer clothes... Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing your new summery pieces!

      Delete
  3. That's a clever challenge, Jennifer. My husband and I will also be heading to hot, humid surf & sand this summer via Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina. I'm considering your challenge. It would benefit me to play along as I would then have my wardrobe ready to go when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam! Oh, I miss that coast! But, oh yes, hot and humid are givens in that region. I recommend a suitcase full of linen and cotton ;-). No pressure to participate but, if you do, you could make me awfully jealous with your East Coast photos!

      Delete
  4. How fun! I need to start making some summery clothes! They're actually my favorite to make and wear-- it's hard for me to get excited about sewing for fall and winter. :) Happy sewing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're my favorite to sew too. And bonus, they're do much quicker so, we can make even more!

      Happy summer sewing to you too!!

      Delete
  5. I'm in! Something I was going to do anyway, but now I commit to making those cotton t-shirts I might have been tempted to buy RTW from H&M.

    The way my summer wardrobe works is my latest creations I wear on smarter occasions and evenings, things that are slightly faded tend to be worn to the beach/on the boat.

    Just about to finish a very smart NL 6459 and can't wait to wear it though the weather in London is depressing at the mo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic, Marianna! I'm so pleased you're joining me! New cotton t shirts sound perfect for summer. As does NL 6459. I can't wait to see it! I think it's great that you relegate your faded clothes to more casual settings rather than leaving them in the closet.

      I hope your weather clears up soon so you can start wearing your new summer creations!

      Delete
  6. I am totally sewing my vacation wardrobe too! I am running a bit behind but I am hoping I can complete a few pieces before I go away in May. Here's my post about it: http://wp.me/p1zHRN-en

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are all great pieces, Melizza! I can't wait to see it all :-)

      Delete
  7. Oh this is so exciting. I'm just a beginner, and have been hoping to find a challenge appropriate for my skill level. I'm going on a trip with some girlfriends to Boston in June, and since it's a short trip I am going to try for a 100% handmade vacation wardrobe. I'n pretty much set with dresses, and this will motivate me to learn tops and shorts or capris. Thanks so much for the inspiring idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your trip sounds fun! 100%!? Such dedication - good for you!! I'm so glad you like the idea and I can't wait to see your vacation wardrobe!

      Delete

Let's keep the conversation going! Feel free to comment below or on Instagram!

If you want to comment without linking to your profile (or if you don't have an account), please choose "Name/URL" from the drop-down and leave your first name (website optional) so I know who I'm responding to. I can't wait to read your feedback! x