Vintage Tag2:55 PM
So, as I was browsing my reader this morning, (attempting to catch up!), I stumbled across a cute game. Stephanie of The Girl with the Star-Spangled Heart posted her answers to this 21 question game via video. How fun! Alas, I'm not one for appearing on camera but, that doesn't mean I don't want to play along!
- Who are your style icons? Audrey Hepburn comes first to mind.
- What is your favourite way to get inspired? Old movies, of course! (Or period dramas.)
- What's your most-used hair tool? My Farouk Chi ceramic iron - I use it to straighten my hair for casual looks and curl it for dressier outfits (or photos).
- What's your favourite hair tool? Ditto
- Updo, down, or half-and-half? For all-out vintage looks, I almost always style my hair up. However, for everyday, I feel I look better with my hair loose.
- Is vintage something you do every day, on weekends, or for special occasions? Anytime the mood strikes me, really. It's not consistent.
- What's your favourite blush & lipstick? Blush: Yves Rocher Natural Blush in Apricot (light complexion). It's light, natural, and is the perfect color for my light skin. Lipstick: Only recently have I started wearing it again and I haven't found the perfect lipstick. However, I wear Revlon ColorStay Ultimate Liquid Lipcolor in Top Tomato or Lancome L'Absolu Rouge in Bordeaux for early vintage/evening looks and Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter in Sweet Tart or Peach Parfait for late 1950s through modern.
- Dress, skirt, or pants? Heels or flats? Dress, definitely. They're the ultimate feminine look and the simplest, in that your outfit is complete with one piece (excluding jackets and accessories, of course.) I also prefer heels though, I wear flats on a more frequent basis, particularly in summer.
- Off the rack or homemade? Homemade!
- Do you swing dance? No, but Brandon and I have plans to learn someday.
- Extreme vintage or subtle touches? Every now and then, I get the urge to go all out but, in general, I stick to subtle touches. I'm a self-conscious person and, as much as I love the old vintage looks, they do tend to draw stares.
- Favourite perfume? Burberry London or Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel (I consider this a younger version of the classic Chanel No.5, which I have ever intention to wear once I'm older.)
- Favourite skincare product? Yves Rocher Ultra Matt Shine Reducing Moisturizer I searched for ages to find a moisturizer with just the right balance for my combination, sensitive skin and this one is perfect! It keeps me relatively shine-free, allows makeup to go on smoothly, and makes my skin soft.
- What does your family think of your style? As for my parents/sister, I think they find it silly but cute. Brandon, on the other hand, likes a little variety and, since I can never decide on a decade, he certainly gets variety!
- Favourite accessory? My vintage pearl studs. Boring, I know. If I could find the perfect hat, that might quickly become a contender but, alas, it eludes me.
- Do you find the vintage community welcoming or snobby? I've encountered both. I find the vintage/sewing community online very welcoming indeed. But, I've also had the unfortunate opportunity to encounter a few very snobby vintage-enthusiasts in person.
- What drew you to vintage style? Movies. Plain and simple. Old black-and-white films make it all look so glamorous and I was completely enamored with how put-together the women always looked. I think what really pushed me though, was viewing 'The Notebook' during college. I loved the red lipstick, as well as some of the outfits, and I was drawn in. Suddenly, I found myself revisiting classics for inspiration and scouring ebay for vintage goodies.
- Favourite places to shop vintage? Perhaps due to limited choices, I'm an online girl. Most of my pieces are from ebay or Etsy.
- What vintage eras are your favourite? Must I choose!? I go through phases... first, I fell for the full-skirts of the 1950s, then (spawned by the aforementioned 'The Notebook') I was all over the 40s, then the 60s... I've cycled through everything from 16thC to most of the 20thC. My current favorites are 1910s and 1930s/40s.
- Most glamourous film stars? Grace Kelly. Period. But, since the question said starS, I'll add Rita Hayworth, Norma Shearer, Katherine Hepburn, Greta Garbo...
- Favourite vintage object that you own? My first vintage purchase (because it was my first) - a darling, peachy-pink 50s dress (with full-skirt, of course!), which I never wear out of fear of its fragility.
|My first vintage dress, purchased on ebay in 2004|