Me-Made-May '14: Round-up12:45 AM
We made it to the end! Happy June!
Day 31 (Poor day 31, all by itself :-P) - "Lilly Alligator" dress - for a day out with Brandon - I saved this one for the end for two reasons: 1. I was terrified it wasn't going to fit! My post-surgery diet hasn't been as healthy as I like since chewing is harder now and high-maintenance. Luckily, it's been getting better so, my dress turned out not to be a problem :) 2. I wanted to end the month on a high note. I love this dress! This was the four version of this pattern so the fit is pretty good. I love the lace and the high-quality (Lilly!) fabric. The print is almost ridiculous (alligators and mini-flowers!) but, so cute and the colors are similar enough that, in my opinion anyway, it isn't loud. Oh, and it's turquoise. Need I say more? So, yeah, I still love this dress!
|Dress: McCalls 4440, Purse: Coach (vintage), Shoes: Clarks|
- I'm on the right track! I'm learning what styles/colors/fabrics I prefer and I'm choosing those over things I may like but, won't wear. All of my recent makes have been successes! (Not all perfect, mind you but, successes.)
- I really do prefer separates. I like my dresses. I do. And, I want to make more. But, on a day-to-day basis, I like to keep things a little more casual. Separates also mean I can wear prints without them wearing me (it's a personal preference but, I tend to feel overwhelmed by allover prints). Going forward, I need to add shorts and simple tops (mostly woven) to my queue, as well as continuing to replicate my already loved pieces (semi-circles forever!)
- I still haven't learned how to accessorize. Reading previous round-ups, this was something I've been trying to work on but, I'm easily intimidated by larger pieces. Meh, I think I'm good with my simple jewelry.
- Expand on this year's successes. Next year, I hope to be able to up my challenge to a me-made item every day! Now that I know I'm on the right track with all of my new makes, I think I'll get there. There will be a lot of woven separates in my future, as well as some more knits, particularly t-shirts and yoga-wear. Eventually, the goal will be to wear 100% me-made.
- Choose a comfortable, consistent method for documenting. I previous years, I've been disappointed that I allow MMMay photos to be "lazier". Honestly, I think it's better that way. I would like to find a uniform way to do it though. Perhaps Instagram? I saw a lot of fellow me-made-Mayers using that application for their daily shots and I liked it. It's quick, easy, and consistent. Now that I'm nailing my style down a bit more too, I think less text would ok too. I just have to learn how to take a proper selfie :-P
- Add Brandon to the mix. I've hoped to do this before but, my sewjo comes and goes and life gets in the way. Hopefully, I'll have a chance to make him a few things this year so he can participate too.