1.22.2013

Hey there, sewing world!

...Oh, how I've missed you!!

These last months have been so, so hectic!  I'll try not to bore you with too many details but, let's just say moving is stressful.  Moving 560 miles (901 km) away is very stressful.  Moving during the holiday season... is oh.my.goodness.

Our new house!!
Photo by Greg, the Mover

I haven't sewn a stitch since October and haven't finished a garment since July! I've felt so deprived of my creative outlet but, as I had to pack up all of my sewing materials anytime anyone wanted to view our house, well, there just wasn't time.  Then, the movers damaged my sewing machine so, nope, not a single stitch in the new house either.  (I can't have it repaired until we report it to the moving company and I can't report it to the moving company until absolutely everything is unpacked and thoroughly inspected...)

Phew, ok, that's out of the way.  On to better things.

First, Happy New Year everyone!!  I hope everyone had a nice holiday season and 2013 is starting off well for each of you!  We're finally starting to settle a bit and I've picked up a new hobby to fill the sewing gap (more to come) so, I'd say things are looking good here.

Second, despite the aforementioned sewing machine moving mishap, I'm hoping to be stitching again soon.  We visited our families for Christmas (they're only 9 hours away now, yay!) and my mother gave me an absolutely wonderful gift!  She's a (working!) Singer 15-91 knee-action machine from 1934.  She belonged to a dear woman from my childhood church and was left to my mother many years ago upon her passing.  I can't wait to sew my first stitch on her.  I'm certain she would be so pleased to know her beloved machine is once again being used.  Now, I just need to have the machine cleaned and oiled and she should be ready to go!

(Excuse the poor Instagram photo - I'll try to do her justice when she's back from the shop.)

Third, in this new house, I'll also have a proper place to sew - I get my very own sewing room!  (Did I ever mention I used to sew on the breakfast bar??)  I'm sure you all know just how exciting that is.  I'll have tables, and shelves, and my thread will be hung on the wall...!  I'll share pictures just as soon as I get it painted and organized.

Fourth (why am I counting?), I have two new finished objects to share! Hooray!  If you've seen my Ravelry bar on the right, you probably have a good idea what they may be.  They were simple projects but, satisfying none-the-less.

Lastly, but very importantly, I'd like to thank everyone for continuing to email/comment/reach out to me during the unplanned hiatus and through the two years I've been writing in my little corner.  I do sincerely appreciate it!!  You lovely people really know how to keep a smile on my face :-)

See you again soon!! x


P.S. If any of you are in the Atlanta area, let me know!

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely home! I'm so glad you are finally starting to feel settled. What a bummer that the movers damaged your sewing machine (but how lucky that you actually had movers and didn't have to do it all yourself). I can't wait to hear about your knitting and sewing with your 1930's Singer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, it's nice to start to settle in and we love it here so, that certainly helps. I hope you're feeling at home in your new place as well!
      We were definitely lucky to have most of our belongings moved for us! We've moved ourselves in the past and it was far from fun. Now, we also have more and bigger stuff and learning to drive a 52' truck isn't on our to-do list haha. It's also lucky that they'll pay to have my machine repaired - I just have to wait a bit.

      Delete
  2. Wow, beautiful house! Moving that far must have been full on - I've been wondering how things have been going for you! And you used to sew on the Breakfast bar? You know, I shared that pain too. Having your own room for sewing is THE. BEST.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Juliet! A move across states certainly required a lot of coordination but, it was worth it :)
      Yep! I can't believe you did too. I'll have to share a picture of the old bar when I finish my new room. I had about a 36" x 36" beside the kitchen sink haha!

      Delete
  3. The house looks lovely! I hope you are very happy there and settle in quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, YAY! How exciting! Your house looks gorgeous! I'm so happy for you guys! Can't wait to see how you break in your new (to you) machine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete