4.13.2012

Make It, Wear It - Queue Update

It's still a ways off but, friends, I think the idea of a vacation has gone a bit too far to my head! I can NOT focus on anything this week month! I have no finished projects to show you. What I do have is a total of three dresses in progress and two more items which I expect to cut out in the next few days.  It's so easy to get distracted by new, pretty projects!  I know I'm not the only one who does...!


So, what are these projects pulling my attention in every direction?



First, my pink-and green shift, which I mentioned in March.  I got this one half-way done before moving on to the Trudy dress (and then, the aptly named floral shift and the purple shift (which I just realized I never shared!))...


After the purple dress, I attempted to get back on track with the Sew Weekly challenges by pulling my original Pantone dress back out.  It's nearly two weeks later and I only managed to get half-way though this one too, sewing 5 minutes at a time, before going fabric shopping to find new things to work on! I definitely plan to finish it before vacation though ;-)  Thanks again for your votes on this one - I'm going with the dot trim along the neckline.



I found this cute seashell fabric last week and asked for a length with plans to make a skirt.  Luckily, I ordered extra because as the associate was cutting it, I envisioned it instead as another (yes, a fifth!) McCall 4440, with a white bodice to breakup the fun print.  Maybe a halter this time?


I've also broken that red cotton sateen out of my stash.  Thanks to a unanimous vote, I'll be whipping up my second pair of shorts.  Wish me luck!  Since my queue is ever growing, I opted for what should hopefully be the fastest of the three patterns.  (Though, I certainly expect both McCall 5391 and Burda Ruby to make appearances this summer!)  To compromise my desire for a quick make with my love of sailor shorts, I'm thinking of adding metal buttons to the pockets... what do you think?


Then, we have the pretty floral I bought yesterday.  I may have forgotten I entered the vintage contest over on Pattern Review... I may have also convinced myself that I could whip up this 1940s blouse this weekend, in time to turn it in on Sunday...  this is unlikely to happen though as I have realized the pattern is too big and I draft very slowly.  Oh well.  I think it will be perfect for sightseeing!

Then, there's always that green silk dress for Oscar's Week Sew Cinematic which is coming together a few hand-stitches at a time.  Thank goodness I have no plans to wear this on vacation and the deadline has been moved to June!

A few other thoughts-in-progress include a pair of patchwork shorts (fabric for which I have in my stash), a navy/white striped t-shirt, once I get better squinted with my new serger, and a pleated yellow skirt (if I can ever find yellow fabric! Anyone have a source?).

Phew!  Now, to attempt to stick to this list without any new additions in the next few weeks. Yeah right!


I hope all of your projects are coming together nicely!  Have a wonderful weekend and happy sewing! x

10 comments:

  1. Wow! You are busy! These are all going to be gorgeous! Maybe try Mood online for the yellow fabric? They have twill in just about every color...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I often forget about Mood because it doesn't come up in Google searches. They do have a few options though.

      Delete
  2. You are soon to have so many pretty dresses in your wardrobe! I'm going to try and focus my next few projects on making dresses from floral fabrics. I only have a fe florals in my stash, but no better time to use them than now - it will also help balance the "blah" that describes most of my work clothes. Of your projects listed here, I am most excited about the pink and green shift as well as the 40's blouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annabelle! Hooray for stash busting - I can't wait what floral dresses you make!

      Delete
  3. Even though you lament about not having finished any of the projects you've thus far started, think about how many you will be finishing up back to back. What a frenzy of sharing that will be! You have lots of pretty fabrics lined up to make lots of pretty garments that will keep you busy until you go on that anticipated vacation. Enjoy the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I find it funny really. You're right though - that will be quite a succession of posts! Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Oh my .... can't wait to see some of these! No pressure because my list is long long long and I am somewhat slow ....

    Your projects are lovely - very colourful and bright fabrics. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Emily! Thanks! I do love color :-). I've finished one of the projects and will be sharing it soon. I totally understand having a long list - this is only a snippit of what I'd like to be working on!

      Delete
  5. This all sounds very exciting. It is somewhat of a relief to hear you talk about sewing for 5 min at a time, because I think I manage about 10 min maybe 15 min before something else needs to be done and so it's comforting to hear other people have similar issues. Happy sewing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm quite excited about them. You're far from alone in a lack of sewing time. I consider myself quite fortunate to get as much time as I do and still, I have to fit in between other tasks. I think sewing is a fit-it-in-when-you-can hobby for many of us!

      Delete

Let's keep the conversation going! Feel free to comment below or on Instagram!

If you want to comment without linking to your profile (or if you don't have an account), please choose "Name/URL" from the drop-down and leave your first name (website optional) so I know who I'm responding to. I can't wait to read your feedback! x