8.04.2011

Fels-Naptha Laundry Bar Soap

Here's another product to add to your laundry arsenal: Dial Corp. 04303 Fels-Naptha Laundry Bar Soap.
source: felsnaptha.com

I picked this up about a month ago at Walmart for under $2. If you recall from an older post, I've been in search of a good stain remover and hadn't yet found one that could handle anything tough. Oddly, the old-fashioned package is what attracted me. It's just a large bar of laundry soap wrapped in paper. Nothing fancy. So, I thought to myself, "that looks like it's been around a while. I bet it actually works." At that low price, what could it hurt?

Developed in the late 1800s, it was originally used as a home remedy to treat poison ivy irritations and the like. Today, the manufacturer still states it can remove those harmful oils from clothes for up to a year. Let's hope we never half to test that. Sources: Wikipedia and Dial Corporation)

I've used it quite a bit now, on a variety of stains - sweat, oil, blood, rust - and it hasn't let me down. Just wet the stain, rub a little of the soap on (the yellow washes out, I promise), and then work it into the stain. After letting it treat for a minute or so, toss it in the wash as usual. At the end of the wash, the stain should be gone! Surprisingly, the only unsuccessful attempt I've made with this product was with those stubborn rust-stained khaki pants which will now just act as my guinea pig for every new product. That stain is likely set now, although I do think this soap even lightened that.

I've also used this in very small amounts for hand-washing and it works very well in that application as well. Just make sure to thoroughly rinse the garment as there is said to be a small risk of skin irritation (though, even my sensitive skin hasn't noticed any).

Happy laundering! x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's keep the conversation going! Feel free to comment below or on Instagram!

If you want to comment without linking to your profile (or if you don't have an account), please choose "Name/URL" from the drop-down and leave your first name (website optional) so I know who I'm responding to. I can't wait to read your feedback! x